ULI BC – YLG Cascadia Regional Conference 2013
The ULI British Columbia Young Leaders Group is pleased to invite you to the Fifth Annual YLG Cascadia Regional Conference!
Please join us for two days of lively discussion, exciting project and neighbourhood tours, networking events, and fabulous Vancouver, BC scenery. Our keynote speaker, Rollin Stanley, General Manager for Planning, Development & Assessment with the City of Calgary, will share his findings and set the tone for this year’s conference theme: (Re)Building the City. The theme of the conference will focus on two concepts:
- Rebuilding the City: will focus on the changes to the traditional “central cities” (i.e. Vancouver, Seattle and Portland) in terms of intensification and adaptation.
- Building the City: will focus on the changes to the traditional “suburban cities” (e.g. Surrey, New Westminster, Burnaby, Hillsboro and Bellevue) and how they are becoming or already are their own economic entities separate and distinct from the central cities.
Additionally, you are invited to attend a Whitecaps MLS game on Saturday evening at 4pm where the Whitecaps take on the Philadelphia Union. This exciting match will take place in BC Place, which boasts a cable-supported retractable roof – the largest of its kind in the world. This optional event is an additional cost of $25 (it is not included with your registration fee) and tickets must be purchased by Tuesday, July 23, 2013.
July 26-27, 2013
Check-in begins at the Terminal City Club at 7:45am on Friday.
Conference begins at 8:15am.
*Please know the Terminal City Club has a dress code policy. See our Conference Flyer for details.
View our Conference Program here.
Friday, July 26th
Following the Keynote address, panel discussions will include the following:
Rebuilding the City – Transit Orientated Development with:
- Moderator: Chuck Wolfe, M.R.P., J.D., Attorney at Law (Seattle)
- Agustin Enriquez V, Associate Principal of GBD Architects Incorporated (Portland)
- John Hempelmann, Attorney at Cairncross & Hempelmann (Seattle)
- Graeme Silvera, Vice President, Development, Western Region, Ivanhoe Cambridge on the Oakridge Mall Redevelopment (Vancouver)
Building the City – “Suburban” Cities in Context with:
- Moderator, Gordon Price, Director of the City Program at Simon Fraser University (Vancouver)
- Chris Blakney, Project Manager with Johnson Reid Land Use Economists (Portland)
- Jean Lamontage, General Manager, Planning and Development with the City of Surrey
- Paul Inghram, Planning Department, City of Bellevue
Following the panel discussions, we will break for lunch and hear from Rollin Stanley again who will share a TEDx talk on “Empowering the Metropolis”. After this, there will be a Rebuilding the City tour of Vancouver neighbourhoods and include:
Downtown Eastside Tour including:
- Robert Fung, President, The Salient Group from development perspective
- Wes Regan, Executive Director of the Hastings Crossing BIA from the business, social and community perspective
- Gair Williamson, Principal, Gair Williamson Architects from the architectural perspective
False Creek Tour with:
- Councillor Geoff Meggs of the City of Vancouver speaking as to the Viaduct Issue and general False Creek planning
- Bruce Haden, Principal from Dialog with respect to Onni Development’s Central Development
- Bob Rennie, Founder and President, Rennie Marketing Systems with respect to The Village on False Creek and Wall Centre False Creek
Oakridge Mall Redevelopment Tour with:
- Stantec: Peter Wreglesworth, Principal Architect (Commercial)
- Stantec: Jason Santeford, Associate Architect (Commercial)
- Henriquez Partners: Thomas Lee, Associate Architect (Residential)
- Ivanhoe Cambridge: Graeme Silvera, VP Development
- Westbank: Rhiannon Mabberley, Development Manager
- Brook Pooni & Associates: Gary Pooni, Planning Consultant
- Pottinger & Associates: Virginia Bird Planner, Planning Consultant
- City of Vancouver: Dwayne Drobot, Planner
Following the tours there will be a social hosted at the Terminal City Club’s rooftop patio beginning at 4:30pm and a later informal gathering at The Pint Pub. Please know the social is cash bar.
Saturday, July 27th
Conference programming will resume Saturday morning with the Building the City tours sponsored by Translink BC, including:
- Surrey City Centre Tour with:
- Michelle Babiuk, Project Planner, Infrastructure Planning, South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink)
- Gary Gahr, Acting Planning Manager – North, City of Surrey, Planning and Development Department
- Aubrey Kelly, Chief Operating Officer, Surrey City Development Corporation
- New Westminster City Centre Tour with:
- Barry Waitt, RPP, Senior Planner, City of New Westminster
- Lynn Roxburgh, Planning Analyst, City of New Westminster
- Graham McGarva, Principal, VIA Architecture with respect to the Plaza 88 Transit Oriented Development
- Brentwood Town Centre/Broadway Tech Centre Tours with:
- Eric Aderneck, RPP, Senior Regional Planner, Metro Vancouver, Regional Planning Division
- Sabrina Lau Texier, Planner, Transport Infrastructure Development, South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink)
- Benj Nelson, Shape Properties
- Jeff Rank, Vice President – Project Development, Marketing & Leasing, Bentall Kennedy (Canada) LP
Please also review our Conference Flyer which outlines further information including registration fees, greater detail of the event, supporters of the YLG Cascadia Regional Conference 2013 and dress code for the conference and tours.