ULI BC members and non-members are invited to participate in this open discussion about affordable housing in Vancouver, hosted by Brightside Community Homes Foundation.
When: October 9, 2018
Where: Vancouver Public Library (Alice McKay Room)
Time: 5:30pm – 8:00pm
In order to continue being a vibrant community, Vancouver needs to meet the needs of a diverse group of people. Residents of Vancouver must be included and participate in the efforts to solve the housing crisis. As a Vancouver-based affordable housing provider, we wish to host an event where a number of community-based partners make presentations on affordable housing and innovative solutions taking place. We will also seek to encourage members of the community to express their concerns about the development of affordable housing. The objective will be to learn more from all sides of the community, debate about fears, clarify misunderstandings, and brainstorm solutions in a safe non- judgemental space. The event will showcase specific examples of how the affordable housing crisis has affected different sectors of the population including Seniors and families. The result will be more engaged and informed communities that understand their neighbors’ challenges, while providing community-based organizations with feedback and proposed solutions on how to break down the barriers limiting the construction of affordable housing.
- General public between the ages of 30 and 65
- Industry leaders from the non-profit and private sectors
- Provincial-level elected officials
- City of Vancouver Mayoral Candidates
- 5 Rapid-fire lived-experience and housing provider presentations (20 min allowance)
- Panel Discussion that takes audience questions, moderated by journalist Jen St. Denis (30 min)
- Table-top workshop for audience solutions (45 minutes)
- eventbrite.ca (search YIMBYISM)
- call 604.684.3515